This large scale, crash resistant EPO warbird has a wingpsan of 55inches (1.4m) and comes with working retracts and functional front steering wheel!
There is no need to be worried about flying a large scale warbird anymore as it's a pussy-cat in the air and easily fly's in most park's. Included is 10 servos, 3 blade propeller, and a large high quality DST 1150 series outrunner.
This model will arrive 95% assembled, leaving only the tail pieces and wing to be glued into place. Assembly time is around 1 hour.
Propeller: 2 x 3 blade (included)
Motor: 2 x DST 1150 Brushless outrunner (included)
ESC: 2 x 30A (included)
Battery: 11.1v 2200~2600mah 3S1P (not included)
Servos: 10 x 9g units (included)
Battery compartment: 110x40x32mm
5ch Tx & Rx (aileron/elevator/rudder/throttle/gear)
11.1v 2200~2600mAh 3S1P Lipo
2 different motor, 2 different speed controller (ESC), retract fixed in EPO,. locks nice, but its flying very bad, never ever this rubbish only more.I have had mine for many months & I still love it. I had to upgrade the retracts due to the field I fly on but there was plenty of room to work with so wasn't an issue. If I had any criticism I'd say a little more power wouldn't go astray.Well... that's what I see after a few months of flying:
1. stock retracts are totally "no-go". You will take off and land a few times on them but be ready that they will break very soon. Even on pavement. Order lighter servoless.
2. put a wood or carbon rod between the wings (inside the wing) from one fuselage to another one. This will keep the wings together. Otherwise they will be held just by the glue in the central gondola. That's generally ok, but the gondgola itself wansn't strong enough. The glue juncture between the 2 halves of it started to open up after several agressive flights. Not a problem, but better to add some hardness to the whole structure.
3. I broke one of the engines (totally my fault) and had to replace both with Emax 2215/20. Then tried to replace them with 420 watts turnigy but again... hit my table with a prop, bearing is dead, so back to Emax.
4. the plane can more-less easily lift 300-350 gramms op payload. Lots of room for bombs, rockets, etc.
5. really very easy to fly, nice stall behavior (just puts a nose down and glides, no stalling at all with CG as in the manual)
6. stock servos look crap... but work for me, no problem with them.
7. stock props look great - I took them off as they are too nice to break on maiden flight :) And never put them back as flying with APS 9x6 is quite nice. Repainted them to match the plane. Stock props make a greatThis plane is exactly as described, super stable and easy to fly! As a beginner i would recommend this to any other beginners considering a warbird, it takes a slight amount to set up but it is well worth it. I bought the 1400mm FW-190 at the same time that i purchased this and i built it first due to ease of construction however after 4 flights ending in one crash the P-38 would have been the better option for initial flying. As mentioned extensively the retracts are horrible and i went with the advice to leave them up i disconnected the number 5 servo from the transmitter. After my first test flight tonight with my little brother doing the maiden launch i missed the grass on landing and ended up on the concrete although flaring was easy so it allowed the scuffing to be focused on the lowest points (between chin cowls and main gear doors and two rudder scrape pads). After viewing the slight paint scuff left from landing i added some aluminum scrape strips (cut out of soft drink cans) to stop any further damage. Apart from that COG was perfect with a 3s 2200mah in the front and i didn't even need to trim it during flight it seemed perfect with all the surfaces adjusted to neutral during construction. All in all awesome plane and highly recommended to anyone especially beginners!
Ps can anyone recommend a good undercarriage substitute for later on?
Cheers!A very easy to fly plane, reminds me of flying a parkzone model. Very smooth & quiet. However I believe the retracts they've used should be installed in a sideways configuration ie spitfire, me109 etc where they pull in from the sides. The retracts on the p-38 retract backwards and as such the locking mechanism isn't correct for this movement. Remove them and safe them for fighter and fit your own or fly without. It's very easy & stable to hand launch anyways.L'avion vole parfaitement tout en tant capable de faire toute l'acrobatie arienne classique. Les trains rentrants on d tre bloqus,ils ne sont pas fiables. L'appareil a un trs bon look en vol,je ne regrette pas mon achat, on en a deux en tat de vol, quips de camras vido ou d" appareil photo.I guy's! Just ordered this item yesterday and at my extrodinary surprise....it is already shipped from the warehouse with a tracking number already attached. 5 stars for the fast service. Bravo HK. I will follow with comments as the item will be received.
Again..........bravo HK.I have to agree with what has been said. They know alot of there planes need modifications and still they dont change the design at all they tend to leave it to the customers to fix which is not good.I ordered this kit August 2011. Quick delivery and no bigger custom problems till then.
I wanted to overhaulit to a working aircombat twin-engine fighter. Its fitting in the German ACES Aircombat rules.
Therefor I chose the engines to Dymond HQ3637 1370 on 8/6 APC twinblades. The battery compartment is fitting for a !! 3S5000 mAh with a little work inside the middlesection airframe. The retractable landing gear is a mess and for normal pilots unuseable. To land the Lightning on the belly is more effective.
The completed model is running from handlaunch like on rails.
The weight ist about 1580g and ther is space upwards...power ans speed are very impressive.
the colours are very bad quality
the gear is inaceptable
the main struts in the wings are only glued pointwise... a little pressure in each direction an they are leaving the wing without any locking
All in all a very beautiful, priceworthy model.
When you read all the reviews and you think is this plane really worth buying...... Well I would have to say yes. After all the crap of fixing the servo retracts "don't even bother with them." there literally there to keep the CG true. The paint is very thin. Anything that was pre glued you have to check Both of my outrunner mount's can loose in flight. There is a bunch of problems with this model But and here is the big BUT once you have this plane in the air your Jaw drops!!! This plane fly's like a dream!!! Top 5 Plane!!