DYS Lightning X220 Racing Drone (P&P)
The DYS Lightning X220 Racing Drone comes with nearly everything you need to get flying. All you require is your goggles or video ground station, receiver, and batteries. Everything else is supplied in a handy carrying bag.
The power comes from four powerful 2205-2300kv motors driven by 20A ESCs with BLHeli firmware. With your choice of either 2-blade or 3- blade 5045 propellers (both styles are provided). All this is controlled by a high-speed F3 flight controller with an OSD providing flight details with an on-board buzzer to also let you know if the voltage is low. There is a built-in PDB with an XT60 connector for the battery.
The frame is spectacular with a one piece, machined 3.3mm carbon fiber billet for the lower frame including arms. The electronics and FPV camera are in a fully enclosed to ensure that they are not damaged in a crash or hard landing. The FPV camera (FOV 160deg) is mounted on a damped board and can be adjusted give the best angle for your flying style. An additional camera mount is provided if you want to record your flight with an action cam. Video transmission is provided by a 200mW 5.8GHz 32 channel transmitter. At the rear there is an LED strip which is great for orientation or so the other racers can see who to beat.
This is one smart package and will get you flying in no time.
• 3.3mm machined Carbon Fiber billet for lower deck
• Camera and electronic bay fully enclosed
• Motor guards/ landing legs
• Master mode STM32F303CB, inner parameter 32bit/72MHz/256k Flash/ 40k SRAM
• MPU6050 sensors
• Build-in 8MB Flash
• Support PPM/SBUS/SumD/DSM2/DSMX and RSSI signal input
• On-board OSD with MAX7456EUI and FTDI
• Connectors for SWD/GPS/MAG/soft-serial/cam-stab servo
• On board buzzer 12WS28128B RGB colorful LED and 5V-3A BEC
• On board voltage sensors
• 20A ESC 3-4S with BLHeli firmware
• Powerful motor 2205-2300kv and 5-inch propellers
• 1/3” CMOS lens, FOV 160 degrees
• Dampened FPV camera mount
• 200mW video transmitter, 32 channels for selection
• Action Camera Mount
• 5045 Propellers (2 and 3 blades)
ESC: 20A BLHeli firmware (Oneshot Support)
Propellers: 5” 3-blade
Fight Controller: SPRacing F3 with Cleanflight
Video Transmitter: 5.8GHz 32CH, 20mW or 200mW (Switchable)
Lens: 1/3” CMOS
FOV: 160 degrees
Weight: 340g (without battery)
1 x DYS X220 Racing Drone (with XT60 battery connector)
2 x 5045 3-bade Propellers (CW,CCW) (pair)
2 x 5045 2-bade Propellers (CW,CCW) (pair)
2 x Nylon lock nut (CW)
2 x Nylon lock nut (CCW)
1 x Nut spanner tool
1 x 5.8GHz Antenna (SMA)
2 x Antenna tubes and mount
1 x GoPro camera base
1 x Kit for mounting GoPro
1 x Battery strap
1 x Receiver cable
1 x Carry and storage bag
1 x 4~6 Channel Radio TX and RX
1 x Video RX Ground Station or Goggles
1 x 3~4S 1800~2200mAh LiPoly Battery
I got this quad on sale- the stock camera was replaced with Eachine 1000 tvl CCD and I mounted the receiver on the dampened plate for now- if you want to mount receiver inside the frame just change the the 25mm stock standoffs to 35mm and you can remove those flimsy side plates by installing 4 more 35mm standoffs- replace the horrible stock antenna with skyzone and reception has improved- quad is very stable and smooth with great power.Over all a rather unsatisfying product.
Looking at the specs you'd think this was going to be a good product, and once you get it out of the box and perform an LOS flight it's got good performance and stability, but it has some flaws.
1) The supplied camera does not work in anything other than bright daylight, the white balance makes it impossible to see in half light.
2) The Video transmitter has terrible break up any more than 100m away.
3) The manual does not give any information on how to update the OSD software or to configure it.
4) The camera mount doubles up for you go-pro runcam etc, which means that if you crash you rip the FPV camera out of the chassis.
5) it's not possible to disassemble without desoldering the connectors to the motors.
6) There is very little room in the chassis, finding a home for your receiver is very hard.
7) The chassis is held together with tiny hex topped self tapping screws, which are very hard to turn and after a couple of removals become very loose.
The price has dropped to £100 from £200, and if I'd have bought it for the full price I'd have been very upset.