SK LIGHTNING 480 Quad-copter Frame (Kit)
The SK Lightning is a stable quad to use as a camera platform. It comes with strong, lightweight, glass fiber arms and frame. All this in a great sized frame with a 480mm wheelbase. In comes with an integrated power distribution board to keep your wiring tidy. Included in this is a 5V 3A BEC plus a built-in XT60 battery connector.
This is an easy to build frame with all the major parts having pre-threaded sleeves to help with assembly and alignment. No looking for those self-locking nuts on the floor. To help with orientation in both day and night there are LED strips for each leg to help get you going in the right direction.
The glass fiber arms come with 16, 19 and 25mm motor holes which will allow you to run 10 to 12 inch propellers. The upward sloping arms help give great stability to the platform. An adjustable battery and camera gimbal mount lets you adjust the weight distribution perfectly. Different gimbals can be easily mounted to the frame.
An excellent universal frame at the right price. Just fit your gear and you’ll be filming your next drama with ease.
• Built from quality glass fiber and polyamide nylon
• Pre-threaded brass sleeves for all frame bolts
• Upswept arms for stability
• Super bright LEDs on each arm for orientation
• Integrated PCB connections for direct soldering of your ESCs
• Easy assembly
• Built-in XT60 for battery input
Weight: 510g (including BEC and lighting system)
BEC Input Voltage: 8~28V
BEC output: 5V 3A
Motor mount bolt holes: 16~19~25mm
1 x SK Lightning 480 frame kit
1 x Manual
4 x 28mm 800~1000KV motors
4 x 20~30A speed controllers
4 x 10-12inch propellers
1 x 2200mah 3S 11.1V to LiPoly battery or more
1 x Flight Controller
5~6 channel radio and receiver
Camera and gimbal (optional)
Loved the integrated nature of the electronics, but the SK Lightning is a bit fragile and there are NO SPARE PARTS! Broke an arm on the first crash and now I have a useless frame because I can't get a replacement.These frames have lots of nice features, but there are some deficiencies.
1. The landing gear legs are VERY fragile. Even a minimally hard landing, especially if the vehicle is drifting at all, they fracture at the notch adjacent to their mounting plate. Fortunately, replacements are available at minimal cost (spare S500 landing gear legs), but they still break too easily. I tried reinforcing the upper surface across the notch by gluing carbon fiber strips with both epoxy and CA, but they didn't stick, even though I roughed up the upper surface of the leg with sandpaper. Plan B is to wrap the upper 4 cm of each leg with 2 oz fiberglass adhered with CA, so I'll see how that works as soon as today's snow melts and the wind dies down.
2. The capacitors on the bottom of the LED and power distribution boards are attached only by their connecting wires, so they dangle below the lower deck. The fix for this is easier with hot melt glue.
3 The translucent covers for the LED strips seem to be pretty brittle. Two of mine fractured. I don't know when it happened, but my quad hasn't had any bad crashes, and they shouldn't break with hard landings or simple tip overs.
Otherwise, the kit goes together well and everything else works
I highly recommended this product, you can't go wrong for the price. Overall quality is excellent and the parts should stand up to some abuse. The assembly instructions are easy to follow and everything went together without any problems. The electronic components incorporated in the frame are of high quality and worked as stated. The LED strips in each arm are very bright and are adjustable via a push button.
ONLY CON - I just wish HobbyKing would provide spare parts for this kit , which is a bit of a worry.